Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The End of Something...

Today marked the end of my radiation/electron booster treatments. What a remarkable time it's been. I've met some fellow travelers who are living proof of the power of the will to survive. A young mother with stage 4 cancer and small children to care for who tells her stories at a mile a minute pace... an older lady who lives alone and talks to herself while waiting for her turn on the table... an elderly couple (he is the patient) who hold hands and visit with everyone in the waiting room... We all, of course, have the same thing in common - we are being treated for cancer. But I think that is not our only common bond. We are all talking, trying to hold back the dark, scary thoughts that come when you least expect them. We are all willing the process to work, that we will be among the elect - the survivors. I celebrated today when I left thru the RADIATION - ONCOLOGY double doors. My going away presents were two helium-filled balloons and an Avon note jotter with the cancer awareness ribbon in pink rhinestones across the cover. To tell you the truth, I doubt that 8:15 a.m., Monday thru Friday will ever be the same for me. At least, I hope not. I hope that I do not forget the ones who are still showing up every day. I hope that I do not forget that there will be more that will follow them. I hope I don't forget to pray for us all. I hope God hears me.

4 comments:

Happy in the Abyss said...

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! No matter what you are doing at 8:15 on the weekdays, you will always be in my thoughts and prayers....

Unknown said...

That is great news! I love you too! You are such an inspiration to me. Take care and God Bless! :)

M@ said...

Love you, Mom.

the rotten correspondent said...

Can I throw my two cents into the love fest? We are all so proud of you, and so grateful for your strength through this whole process. Living with Richard has made you tough!
Ilove you to bits.
xoxo,
your favorite daughter in law