Thursday, May 24, 2007

California, Here I Come

You see, I'm a native Californian. I am the daughter of a native Californian and the grand-daughter of a (Baja) Californian. I am the mother of two native Californians and one (who, tho conceived in the Golden State) was born on an island somewhat off the coast - Oahu. The vast majority of my thirteen grandchildren were also born in California. I have always been proud of my state.

I have just finished an eleven day "tour" of the State. I have seen deserts, both high and low. This time of the year they are studded with the white "Lord's Candle" blooms of the Yucca plant, the purple sage blooms and the golden poppies. I have seen the Sierras still capped with snow surrounding valleys of small farms and ranches. I have been to Burney Falls. Never heard of it? If you ever way-up-North in California, it is worth the visit. High in the Sierra, the melting snow cascades over a face of rock in a way too beautiful to describe. It was cool there, with the light dappled thru the pines. Just the rest we needed that day. Refreshing to both my body and my spirit. We reached the coast at Crescent City. Not the blue water and sunny beaches this Southern California girl is used to, but the grey/blue of a colder, more rugged Pacific. Like "the other side of the coin" - both equally beautiful, just very different.

I know, I know... there are other places where one can drive from the mountains to the sea. I've "been there, done that" in a few states. But the mountains were not the Sierras and the sea not the warm and welcoming Pacific and those places were not HOME.

Glad to be back in my corner of California.

2 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

check out my blog tomorrow. tag! you're it!

the rotten correspondent said...

hate to repeat myself, but Tag! You're it! Check my blog for details.